Students will learn about:
- What the term ‘properties’ in science means
- A range of physical properties that materials can be grouped and classified
- Electrical, thermal and acoustic conductors and insulators
- Transparent, translucent and opaque properties
- Hardness, flexibility, absorbent and waterproof properties
Information covered in the informational slides:
- What are properties?
- How can we find the properties of materials?
- Observable physical properties
- Recognising electrical, thermal and acoustic conductors
- Electrical conductors and insulators
- Electrical conductor or insulator (classifying task)
- Did you know: Seawater is a conductor of electricity
- Thermal conductors and insulators
- Thermal conductor or insulator (classifying task)
- Which materials are absorbent? (classifying task)
- Which materials are waterproof? (classifying task)
- Transparent, translucent and opaqueness
- Transparent, translucent or opaque (classifying task)
- Which materials are hard? (classifying task)
- Which materials are flexible? (classifying task)
This resource includes 5 worksheets that improve knowledge about the physical properties of a range of common materials.
An answer key is included for easy marking!
Worksheet 1: Close Passage – The Properties of Materials
Worksheet 2: Multiple Choice & Short Answer Questions
Worksheet 3: Transparent, Translucent and Opaqueness
Worksheet 4: Electrical Conductors and Insulators
Worksheet 5: Grouping and Classifying Materials According to Their Properties